AI & The Future of Work
According to the World Economic Forum’s Future of Jobs Report 2023, the adoption of new and frontier technologies will continue to be a key driver of business transformation: more than 75% of companies intend to adopt big data, cloud computing, and AI in the next 5 years. To find out how social enterprises in our network are using AI, MovingWorlds conducted an analysis that uncovered four key ways AI is being applied to expand bottom-line and impact potential. Learn more about each here, along with guidance to help you start experimenting with AI at your enterprise.
Unlike typical project-based funding, results-based funding is calculated on the basis of units (for example, the cost to provide one person with sanitation) similar to a commercial contract. As TRANSFORM shares in its latest insight paper, this approach can play a key role in helping organizations transition from grant-based business models to sustainable, income based business models. A great example of what that looks like in practice is this episode of the We Transform Lives podcast featuring the pioneering awards-for-recycling social enterprise WeCyclers.
Human-Centered Innovations in the Last-Mile
The new ‘Humanizing Energy’ series from BBC Storyworks and Global Distributors Collective sheds light on the human side of last-mile delivery — like this video about Powerlive Zimbabwe, which has built a network of women sales agents that distribute off-grid solar products in remote Zimbabwean communities. Similarly, Acumen has spent more than two decades and over $37.5 million to deliver tailored last-mile solutions for smallholder farmers — learn more about the insights that shape their approach here.
Social Impact Job Openings
- Action Opportunity Fund is hiring for a contract Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Research Manager (remote within U.S.)
- Ashaya is hiring for an Accounting & Finance Associate (based in Pune, Maharashtra, India)
- Climate Imperative Foundation is hiring for a Project Manager, Board of Directors (remote within U.S.)
- Global Distributors Collective is hiring for an Events Officer (based in Kenya, Nepal, Senegal, or Zimbabwe)
- Global Impact Investing Network is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Los Angeles Waterkeeper is hiring for a Development & Communications Manager (hybrid out of Los Angeles, CA)
- Mercy Corps Ventures is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- MicroMentor is hiring for a Business Development Representative (based in Portland, OR)
- Position Green is hiring for a Sustainability Platform Manager (hybrid out of Houston, TX, Austin, TX, or New York, NY)
- Pyxera Global is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship is hiring for an AfOx Coordinator (hybrid out of Oxford, England)
- Skoll Foundation is hiring for a Program Manager, Executive Office (based in Palo Alto, CA)
- TechChange is hiring for a Director of Global Education (hybrid out of Washington, D.C.)
- Upaya Social Ventures is hiring for an Associate – Impact Measurement & Management (based in Bangalore, India)
Upcoming Events & New Programs
- August 3: Join the TRANSFORM Support Hub for the second of a two-part series of workshops with Integrative Solutions CEO Dr. Deepti Sastry, on the topic of “How to Define and Articulate Your Social and Business Impacts.” Learn more and register here.
- August 4: Join Berkeley Judicial Institute and our partners at A Curiae for a webinar on “Collaborative Courts—the experience in Northern District of California.” Learn more and register here.
- August 15: Deadline to submit your proposal to the data.org Generative AI Skills Challenge
- August 18: Deadline to submit a proposal to the Conscious Food Incubator 2023, open to civil society organizations in any geography working to transform food systems in a regenerative way.
- August 18: Deadline to apply to the Western Union Foundation Fellowship Program, open to entrepreneurs or community leaders from and working with highly marginalized, refugee, and forcibly displaced communities around the globe.
- August 31: Deadline to apply for the Fearless Strivers Grant, open to U.S. based businesses which are at least 51% black woman owned
- August 31: Deadline to apply to the Transformative Partnership Award, recognizing and celebrating exceptional multi-stakeholder Partnerships.
- September 1: Application deadline for “Elevate: Women into Product Management & Tech Entrepreneurship,” a paid 12-week course from Kimolian Academy for women who want to pivot into tech for good careers. Learn more here.
- September 30: Deadline to submit your nomination for the TRANSFORM Waste Free World challenge, providing selected enterprises with funding and dedicated business support. Note: must be registered on the TRANSFORM Support Hub to apply!
- October 11-12: Social Enterprise World Forum is hosting its annual conference in Amsterdam on the topic of “Collective Action, Sustainable Change.” Learn more and register here.
- Agsol on securing a new partnership and funding support from JLL Foundation!
- Young Africa for being recognized by UNESCO-UNEVOC for its innovative vocational training model!
- BAMBUHAY Founder, Mark Sultan Gersava, for winning one of Go Negosyo’s Most Inspiring MSME Awards 2023!
- Its Learnable on onboarding a number of new content partners on its app to provide teachers, parents and kids with even more high-quality content to learn from!
- Swiss Capacity Building Facility on the publication of its Annual Report, and press coverage by JeuneAfrique!
- elli on the launch of its beta program to test and iterate on its app supporting independence for people living with cognitive impairment! Check out the app here.
- SuperBetter on the recent launch of Squad Play, a tool for educators to empower youth mental health, resilience, and social-emotional learning!
- Scuoom on the launch of its STEM Initiative, a comprehensive educational program that aims to inspire and empower young learners to excel in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- BURN Manufacturing on joining the prestigious International Emissions Trading Association!
A Final Bit of Inspiration
“Go to the streets that you have never been to. Wander in the places that you have never known. There is light in the hidden corners of life too. Expand your frontiers and the frontiers will expand you.”
Mehmet Murat ildan